Document Type : Research Paper
Baghdad-Iraq\\\\university of Baghdad- engineering college-water resources department
Tigris River is an important water body in Iraq for drinking, agricultural, industrial, and livestock uses. The river flows from Turkey to the Iraqi land at Fiesh-khabour district in the northern part of Iraq and flows into Mosul city. Therefore, this study aims to simulate the flow in the Tigris River using the latest version of the HEC-RAS model (v5.0.7). The calibration and verification of the model showed that the final Manning’s roughness coefficients (n) of the main channels for the Tigris River were 0.036 and 0.026 for Mosul and Tikrit sites respectively. The Results illustrated a very good agreement between the simulated and measured stages. The Root Mean Square Error RMSE, MAE, and Nash-Sutcliffe Efficiency Criteria NSE, tests were used for calibrating the unsteady state flow model where it served as a comparison of calculated water levels by the model for each of the Manning index values ‘n’ with the observed water levels as a function. The final Manning’s roughness coefficients (n) of the main channels for the Mosul and Tikrit sites were 0.036 and 0.026 respectively. It's suggested to construct of hydraulic structures such as a dam with a reservoir beside this area to operate water stations and electric turbinate’s and other projects built next to the river, such as irrigation projects. Recommended using the simulation of the present study in the future to study the effect of constructing a dam in the Tikrit region. In addition, the current simulation can be used in the future to study the TDS, transportation of sediment loads, or pollution along the river.
- Al-Ansari N, Jawad S, Adamo N, and Sissakian V, (2019) Water Quality and its Environmental Implications within Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. Journal of Earth Sciences and Geotechnical Engineering, V. 9 (4), P. 57-108.
- Oleiwi A.SH, and Al-Dabbas M.A, (2021) RELATIONSHIP OF ANNUAL FLOW WITH HYDROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF THE TIGRIS RIVER AND EVUALATION OF WATER FOR DRINKING AND ^IRRIGATION USES. International Journal of Environment and Climate Change. 11(6): 4458, 2021; Article no.IJECC,70475. https://doi.org/10.53550/eec.2022.v28i01s.063
- Chabuk A, Al-Madhlom Q, Al-Maliki A, Al-Ansari N.A, Hussain H, Laue J, (2020) Water quality assessment along Tigris River (Iraq) using water quality index (WQI) and GIS software. Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-020-05575-5
- Hydrologic Engineering Center, (2016) HEC-SSP User's Manual, Davis, CA 95616, available at http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-ssp/documentation/HEC-SSP_20_Users_Manual.pdf
- HEC (Hydrologic Engineering Center), (2010a) HEC-SSP (2.2 VERSION) and HEC-DSSVUE (3.2.3) User´s Manual, Version 3.5, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Hydrologic Engineering Center, Davis, CA.
- Oleiwi, A.SH, (2022) The Hydrological And Hydrochemical Characteristics Of The Tigris River, And The Dissolved Loads Determination Between Mosul And South Of Baghdad.(UNNPUBLISHED PH.D THiesses), university of Baghdad, Collage of science, Iraq, Baghdad. https://doi.org/10.9734/ijecc/2021/v11i630421
- Dawood, A.S, Jabbar, M.T, and Al-Tameemi, H.J, (2018) Effect of groundwater salinity level on soil using remote sensing and GIs techniques: Case study of southwest of Basra Province. J. Eng. Sci. Technol.V. (13), P. 977–989.
- Of Iraq, (2022) Geological map of north part of Iraq of Tigris river basin, Baghdad, Iraq.
- Sissakian, V.K and Fouad, S.F, (2012) Geological Map of Iraq, scale 1:1000000, 4th edition (Explanatory Text, Physiographic Map of Iraq). Iraq Geological Survey Publications Baghdad Iraq.
- Hamza, N.M, (1997) Geomorphological Map of Iraq, scale 1:1000000. Iraq Geological Survey Publications, Baghdad, Iraq.
- National Center of Water Resources Management, (2022) Daily discharge and water level of Tigris River. Ministry of Water Resources, Iraq, annual internal report. Unpublished report data.
- Hamdan A, (2016) Simulation of Salinity Intrusion from Arabian Gulf to Shatt Al-Arab River , Basrah Journal for Engineering Sciences, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 28-32. https://doi.org/10.33971/bjes.16.1.5
- Majeed Z, Abbas A. S, and Alwan, I,( 2021) Water Flow Simulation of Tigris River Between Samara and Baghdad Based on HEC-RAS Model. Engineering and Technology Journal, V.39 (12), P.1882-1893. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v39i12.1804
- Agrawal, R, and Regulwar, D.G, (2016) Flood Analysis Of Dhudhana River In Upper Godavari Ba sin Using HEC-RAS, International Journal of Engineering Research, V. (5), Issue Special, P. 188-191.
- Dawson C.W, Abrahart R.J, and See L.M, (2007) HydroTest: a web-based toolbox of evaluation metrics for the standardised assessment of hydrological forecasts’, Environmental Modelling & Software, V. 22(7), P.1034–1052. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2006.06.008