Document Type : Research Paper
Food Science and Quality Control Department, Sulaimani Polytechnic University, KRG, Iraq.
Food Technology Department, College of Agricultural Engineering Sciences, Univercity of Salahaddin, KRG, Iraq.
Statistics and Informatics Department, College of Administration and Economics, Sulaimani University, KRG, Iraq.
This study was considered the distribution of samples according to socio demographic characteristics and their relationship with food labelling survey in Sulaimani city. Food labelling information used as a basic for all other parameters such as consumers education levels, gender, consumers able to read food labelling, know regarding of food labelling, sensitivity or illness by some foods and consumers age. Regarding the consumer’s education level, the low, medium and high literate skills level of consumers were showed that to be higher than the level illiterate skills with attention and use food labelling information before purchase it. In addition, 52% of female respondents were checking the food labelling information before purchase the food. Although, there were no significant differences between information in related to gender. Otherwise, the data are associated to the read of food labelling information, it can be identified that our consumers generally notice information labels, but do not take much attention in its content. Concerning the question of are you know food labelling information? There were statistically significant differences between foods labelling information in related to be you know? For the sensitivity or illness parameter in this study. The results discovered that, there were statistically significant differences between information in related to Sensitivity or Illness as well as, quarter of the respondents (75%) did not read the food information. Finally, consumers within the age group 41 and above use food labelling information less than consumers within the age group between 18-40 ages.
- Grunert, K.G.; Wills, J.M.; Fernández-Celemín, L. (2010). Nutrition knowledge, and use and understanding of nutrition information on food labels among consumers in the UK. Appetite, 55, 177–189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2010.05.045
- International Food Information Council, (2011). Functional Foods/Foods for Health Consumer Trending Survey.
- Anir NA, Nizam MNM, Masliyana. RFID Tag for Halal Food Tracking in Malaysia: Users Perceptions and Opportunities. (2008) In: 7th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Telecommunications and Informatics (TELE-INFO ‘08); Istanbul, Turkey.
- Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (FSAN). (2018). Available online: www.nafdac.gov.ng/index.php/about-nafdac/directorates/food-safety-applied-nutrition.
- Donga G, Patel N. (2011). The Nutrition Labelwhich information is important to the Consumer? International Journal of New Technology and Research 4): 53-56.
- Alberst, J. (2010). Innovations in food labelling. Published by The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and Wood head Publishing Limited.
- Srivastava, N. (2021). Effect of Socio-demographic characteristics on usage and non-usage of food labels during purchase of packaged food In India. Journal of Business and Management (IOSR-JBM), ISSN: 2319-7668, 23, 3. 25-32.
- Shahrabani, Sh. (2021). Determinants of Israeli consumers’ decision to use food label information more frequently: a national survey study. Shahrabani Israel Journal of Health Policy Research, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13584-021-00462-0
- Adesina, E., Ajayi, B., Amoo, E. O., Adeyeye, B., Ajayi, M. P., Olawande , T.,Olawole-Isaac, A. and Udume, M. E.(2022). Consumers’ Knowledge and Use of Nutritional Labelling Information in Lagos, Nigeria, Sustainability, 14, 578. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14010578
- Grunert, K. G., Fernandez-Celemin, L., Wills, J. M., Storcksdieck genannt Bonsmann, S., and Nureeva, L. (2010). Use and understanding of nutrition information on food label in six European countries. Journal of Public Health, 18, pp. 261–277. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-009-0307-0
- Cowburn, G.; Stockley, L. (2005). Consumer understanding and use of nutrition labelling: A systematic review. Public Health Nutr., 8, 21–28. https://doi.org/10.1079/phn2004666
- Hattersley S. and Chan, CH. (2010). Labelling of allergenic foods of concern in Europe. Food Standards Agency, United Kingdom, First published Woodhead Publishing Limited, except Chapter 5. https://doi.org/10.1533/9781845697594.59
- FSA (FOOD STANDARDS AGENCY). (2002), ‘May Contain’ Labelling – The Consumer’s Perspective. Crown Copyright.
- Brecher, S.J.; Bender, M.M.; Wilkening, V.L.; Mccabe, N.M.; Anderson, E.M. Status of nutrition labeling, health claims, and nutrient content claims for processed foods: (1997) . Food Label and Package Survey. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 2000, 100, 1057–1062. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0002-8223(00)00308-4
- Fullmer, S.; Geiger, C.J.; Parent, C.R.M. (1991) Consumers’ knowledge, understanding, and attitudes toward health claims on food labels. J. Am. Diet. Assoc., 91, 166–171. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0002-8223(21)01081-6
- Samson G. (2017). Awareness of food labelling and use of the information in purchasing pre-packaged food products among consumers in Ilala municipality Dares Salaam (Doctoral dissertation, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences).
- Patricia U. (2016). Consumers‟ knowledge, attitude and use of Food Labels in an urban city in Southeast Nigeria. Advance Nutrition 7: 22.
- CARILLO, E., VARELA, P. & FISZMAN, S. (2012): Infl uence of nutritional knowledge on the use and interpretation of Spanish nutritional food labels. J. Food Sci., 71, H1–H8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02479.x
- RANILOVIĆ, J. & COLIĆ BARIĆ, I. (2013): Perceived barriers and motives to reading nutrition label among label ‘nonusers’ in Croatia. Croat. J. Food Technol., Biotechnol. Nutr., 8, 52–57. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070701111097376
- LOUREIRO, M.L., GRACIA, A. & NAYGA, R.M. (2006): Do consumers value nutritional labels? Eur. Rev. Agric. Econ., 33, 249–268.
- Alshukri, A., Elramli, S. and Albkoush, H. (2020). Study of knowledge, attitude and awareness of the information of food labeling among consumers in Tripoli municipality Libya. IJRAR- International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews,7,2 32-42.
- Shireen S., Sumaya, M. S., Bhuvaneswari KM, Lakshmi S. R. (2022). Food Label and its Influence among Indian Consumers - A Review, J Food Sci Nutr Res 2022; 5 (2): 543-551 DOI: 10.26502/jfsnr.2642-11000097 Journal of Food Science and Nutrition Research. 5. 2 [ISSN 2642-1100] 543. https://doi.org/10.26502/jfsnr.2642-11000097