Document Type : Research Paper
poultry production - faculty of animal production - west kordofan university- Alnuhud - sudan
Department of Animal Production, Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Bakht Elruda. Sudan.
Ministry of Animal Resources, Khartoum, sudan.
Department of Animal Production, Faculty Agricultural Technology & Fish Science, Al Neelain University, Khartoum, sudan
Department of Animal Production, Faculty Agricultural Technology & Fish Science, Al Neelain University, Khartoum, sudan.
An experiment was conducted to assess the effect offenugreek seed powder as feed additive on performance and blood chemistry of broiler chicks. 96 unsexed broiler chicks (hubbard) were divided randomly into four group, each represented a treatment (24 birds/treatment) with 4 replicates in a completely randomized design. The experimental basal rations were formulated to meet requirement for essential nutrients for broiler chicks according to NRC (1994) recommendation. Four graded levels of fenugreek seed powder 0%, 0.5%, 1% and 1.5% were used. The experiment lasted for six weeks. Blood chemistry and carcass characteristics were measured. Overall feed intake, live body weight, haven't shown any significant (p>0.05) differences between treatments groups, Weight gain and feed conversion ratio were significantly affected (P<0.05), birds fed 0.5% fenugreek seeds powder were recorded highest weight gain and lowest feed conversion ratio. Internal organs weights were not significantly (P>0.05) influenced by the dietary treatments.Blood parameters weren’t significantly (p>0.05) affected, PCV, MCH, MCHC, RBCS and WBC, significant (P<0.05) increased in HB plasma was observed. No significant (p>0.05) different was recorded in cholesterol level between experimental groups. Inclusion of fenugreek seeds powder has good effect on broiler chicks performance.
- Francis, G., et al., The biological action of saponins in animal systems: a review. British journal of Nutrition, 2002. 88(6): p. 587-605.
- Patil, S.P., P.V. Niphadkar, and M.M. Bapat, Allergy to fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum). Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 1997. 78(3): p. 297-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1081-1206(10)63185-7
- ANONYMOUS, Trigonella foenum-graceum. [http://www.haad.ae/HAAD/Link.Click.aspx?fileticket=2QP5iAkuUm8%3D&ta id= 791, (2011a).
- Dahanukar, S., R. Kulkarni, and N. Rege, Pharmacology of medicinal plants and natural products. Indian journal of pharmacology, 2000. 32(4): p. S81-S118.
- Sandoval, M., et al., Effect of dietary zinc source and method of oral administration on performance and tissue trace mineral concentration of broiler chicks. Journal of animal Science, 1999. 77(7): p. 1788-1799. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7771788x
- Hussein, M.A. and A.N. Zaki, Effect of Adding Fenugreek Oil to Diet on Productive Performance of Broiler Chicks. Energy (kg kcal). 1(3027): p. 3195.3.
- HM, A., Effect of hot pepper and fenugreek seeds supplementation on broiler diets. Ph D Thesis, Faculty of Agriculture, Alexandria University, Egypt., 2001.
- , A.T., The Role of Vitamins A ,C and Fenugreek Seeds in Lowering Oxidative Stress Effect on Physiological and Reproductive Performance of Males Broiler Breeder. PhD. Thesis, College of Agriculture and forestry, University of Mosul., 2008.
- Rouk, H. and H. Mangesha, Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) its relationship, geography and economic importance, Exper Stat Bull No. 20, Imper. Ethiopian College of Agric. & Mech. Arts, 1963.
- Hardman, R., Pharmaceutical products from plant steroids. 1969.
- Smith, A., Selected markets for turmeric, coriander seed, cumin seed, fenugreek seed and curry powder. 1982.
- Morsy, M.M.A., The use of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum), clove (Syzgium Aromaticum) in broiler nutrition as feed additives. M.Sc. Thesis, Fac. of Agric, Alexandria Univ, Egypt., 1995.
- Council, N.R., Nutrient requirements of poultry: 1994. 1994: National Academies Press.
- El-Kaiaty, A., A. Soliman, and M. Hassan, The physiological and immunological effects of some natural feed additives in layer hen diets. Egypt Poult Sci, 2002. 22: p. 175-183.
- Radwan, N., L. , Effect of using some medicinal plants on performance and immunity of broiler chicks. . Ph. D. Thesis, Fac. Of Agric., Cairo Univ., Egypt., 2003.
- Murray, R., et al., The text book of Harper’s biochemistry. Appleton and Large, Norwalk, Connecticut, Las Altos, Calliformia, 1991.
- Hernandez, F., et al., Influence of two plant extracts on broilers performance, digestibility, and digestive organ size. Poultry science, 2004. 83(2): p. 169-174. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.2.169