Document Type : Research Paper
University of Saad Dahlab, Faculty of Nature and Life Sciences, Department of Biotechnology, Ouled Ya&iuml;ch, 09000 Blida, Algeria
Bioclimatology and Agricultural Hydraulics Research Division, National Institute of Agronomic Research, Algiers,
Biotechnology and agro ecology department, Faculty of Life and Nature Sciences, University of Saad Dahlab Blida1, Blida, Algeria.
In Algeria, vegetable crops are dependent on irrigation. In this context, the present study is oriented towards the efficient management of agricultural water that contributes to the improvement of crop production. The approach is based on the calculation of the water requirements of the potato in order to control the efficiency of the water supply in relation to the crop water requirements. This efficiency of use is imperative for a better yield and a healthy agricultural environment. In this study, we used two agronomic models CropWat (v8.0) and AquaCrop (v6.1), which were developed by FAO, to evaluate the water use efficiency (WUE) in a semi-arid climate (Wilaya of Tiaret) over a 31-year period (1990-2021). And this, by estimating the irrigation water requirements (IWR) and crop water requirements (CWR). The results obtained showed that there is a very close relationship between the estimates produced by the two models CropWat and AquaCrop. These estimates are for IWR, CWR and WUE, which are in the order of 395.91 mm, 517.24 mm, 6.47 kg m-3 using CropWat and 385.46 mm; 507.38 mm, 6.37 kg m-3 using AquaCrop. Crop growth simulation models have become important tools for evaluating and developing deficit irrigation strategies, especially in arid and semi-arid regions.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, (2020). The State of Food and Agriculture, ISBN 978-92-5-133645-8, 234 pages
- Van Halsema G.E. and Vincent L., (2012). Efficiency and productivity terms for water management: a matter of contextual relativism versus general absolutism”. Agricultural Water Management, 108: 9-15.
- Algeria Press Service, (2018). Nearly 70% of water consumption taken up by agriculture, Retrieved July 15, 2018. https://www.aps.dz/economie/76268-pres-de-70-de-la-consommation-d-eau-accapares-par-l-agriculture.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development (2020). Potato sector: market regulation and export are the main objectives. https://www.aps.dz/economie/112228
- Bessaoud, O., (2019). Summary report on agriculture in Algeria. https://hal.archive-ouvertes.fr>document.
- Kassua T., Tilahunb H., Yareda D., Watanabec H., (2017). Effect of irrigation regimes on yield and water use efficiencies of potato. International Journal of Plant Production, 11, 3, 391-405.
- Lata Vishnoi, Sumana roy, N.S. Murty and A.S. Nain, 2012. Study on water requirement of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) using CropWatModel for Tarai Region of Uttarakhand, Journal of Agrometeorology [ISSN: 0972-1665]4, 14, Special Issue, 180-185.
- Atefeh Afshar, Gholam Reza Afsharmanesh, Mohsen Adeli and Ashraf Malekian, (2014). Assessment of AquaCrop Model in the Simulation of Potato Yield and Water Use Efficiency under Different Water Regimes. Journal of Biological and Environmental Sciences, 8, 23, 79-86.
- Maie Kabbashi Alla Jabow, Ahmed Ali Salih, Abdel Hadi Abdel Wahab Mohamed and Bashir Mohammed Ahmed, (2013). Crop water requirements for tomato, common bean and chick pea in Hudeiba, River Nile State Sudan. Sudan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 22, 11- 22.
- Karuku G.N., Gachene C.K.K., Karanja N., Cornelis W. and Verplancke H., (2014). Use of cropwat model to predict water use in irrigated tomato production at kabete, kenya, East African. Agricultural and Forestry Journal, 80, 3,175-183. https://doi.org/10.1080/00128325.2016.1261986
- Memon A. V., Jamsa S., (2018). Crop Water Requirement and Irrigation scheduling of Soybean and Tomato crop using CropWat 8.0. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 5, 9, 669-671.
- Abousrie A. Farag, (2018). Irrigation management of pepper crop under surface and sub-surface drip irrigation systems by using expert system, irrimet and cropwat. Misr Journal of Agricultural Engineering, 35, 4, 1293 – 1308. https://doi.org/10.21608/mjae.2018.95276
- Demeke Tamene Mitku, (2021). Application of Aquacrop and CropWat Models for Estimating Crop Water Requirements and Irrigation Scheduling for Hot Pepper in Metekel Zone. Advances. 2, 3, September 2021, 50-63. doi: 10.11648/j.advances.20210203.13 https://doi.org/10.59122/13518ef
- Andarzian B., Bannayan M., Steduto P., Mazraeh H., Barati M.E., Barati M.A., Rahnama A., (2011). Validation and testing of the AquaCrop model under full and deficit irrigated wheat production in Iran, Agricultural Water Management, 100, 1– 8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2011.08.023
- Mirko Knežević, Natalija Perović, Ljubomir Životić, Mirjana Ivanov and Ana Topalović, (2013). Simulation of winter wheat water balance with cropwat and isareg models. Agriculture & Forestry, 59, 1, 41-53.
- Araya, A., Habtub, S., Hadguc, K.M., Kebedea, A., Dejened, T., (2010). Test of AquaCrop model in simulating biomass and yield of water deficient and irrigated barley (Hordeum vulgare). Agricultural Water Management, 97, 1838–1846. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2010.06.021
- Laouisset, M. B. and Dellal, A. (2016). Estimation of Barley (Hordeum Vulgare L.) Crop Water Requirements Using Cropwat Software in Ksar-Chellala Region, Algeria", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, 8, 3, 91-102. ISSN 1804-1930
- Oulbachir Karima, (2010). Microbial ecology of soils under different granulometric compartments and different bioclimatic stages, PhD thesis, defended on 07/10/2010, University of Oran, Algeria.144.
- Allen R, Pereira LS, Raes D. et Smith, M, (1998). Crop evapotranspiration: guidelines for computing crop water requirements. In: FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper N. 56, Rome, Italy. 300pp.
- Zhang, H., Oweis, T., Garabet, S., Pala, M., (1998). Water use efficiency and transpiration efficiency of wheat under rain-fed and irrigation conditions in Mediterranean environment. Plant Soil, 201, 295-300.
- Sood, M. and Sharma (1993). Water optimization and requirement. Advances in Horticulture. Chanda, K.L. and Grewal, J.S. (Eds.). Malhotra Publishing House. New Delhi -64.
- 2021. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Series B, Agricultural Statistics
- Nagaz, K., Masmoudi, M.M., Mechlia, N.B., (2007). Soil salinity and yield of drip-irrigated potato under different irrigation regimes with saline water in arid conditions of southern Tunisia. Journal of Agronomy, 6, 324-330. https://doi.org/10.3923/ja.2007.324.330
- Wright, J.L., Stark, J.C., (1990). Potato. In: Stewart, B.A., Neilsen, D.R. (Eds.), Irrigation of variability. Fungal Biology, 115, 335-342.
- Fabeiro, C., Martin de Santa Olalla, F., de Juan, J.A., (2001). Yield and size of deficit irrigated potatoes. Agricultural Water Management, 48, 255-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0378-3774(00)00129-3
- Ünlü, M., Kanber, R., Senyigit, U., Onaran, H., Diker, K., (2006). Trickle and sprinkler irrigation of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) in the Middle Anatolian Region in Turkey. Agricultural Water Management, 79, 43-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2005.02.004