Rural Women’s Coping Strategies Against the Effects of Covid-19 Pandemic in Ilorin East Local Government Area of Kwara State, Nigeria
Al-Qadisiyah Journal For Agriculture Sciences,
2022, Volume 12, Issue 1, Pages 70-74
AbstractThe study examined the rural women’s coping strategies against the effects of covid-19 pandemic in Ilorin East Local Government Area of Kwara State, Nigeria. Eight five respondents were randomly selected in seven communities for the study. The data was collected using frequency count, percentage, mean and Pearson Product Moment Correlation (PPMC). The result reveals that all the respondents (100%) were aware that covid-19 had been declared as a pandemic. The increase in price of goods and services (x ̅= 4.59) was the highest ranked perceived effect of covid-19 pandemic on the respondents. Rearing of animals (x ̅= 1.46) was the highest ranked coping strategy adopted by the respondents against covid-19. There is significant relationship between coping strategies and perceived effects (r=-0.207, p=0.057) at 10% level of significance. The study there recommended that there should be provision of more awareness on covid-19 pandemic and there should be creation of additional job opportunities in the rural areas for women who are affected by covid-19 pandemic.
- Bashuna, S. D. and Addom, B. (2020). Digital agriculture to help Africa through coronavirus. Retrieved 17/7/2020 from www.cta.int/en/profile/benjamin-addom-sid03497b7ae-0fcf-4b8d-8c56-bb4b1fd0876a.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (2020). Extension and advisory services: at the frontline of the response to COVID-19 to ensure food security. Rome. https://doi/10.4060/ca8710en
- Ivanov, D. (2020). Predicting the impacts of epidemic outbreaks on global supply chains: a simulation-based analysis on the coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2) case. Transportation Research Part E.: Logistic and Transportation Review, 136:101922. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2020.101922
- Jámbor, A., Czine, P. and Balogh, P. (2020). The Impact of the Coronavirus on Agriculture: First Evidence Based on Global Newspapers. Sustainability, 12(4535): 1-20.
- Mahona, P, Pacho T (2021). Reshaping education in the post- COVID-19 pandemic in Africa. Afri. Res. J. Educ. Soc. Sci. 8(3):13-26.
- Prokopy, L. S., Carlton, J. S., Arbuckle, J. G., Jr., Haigh, T., Lemos, M. C., Mase, A. S., . . ., Power, R. (2015). Extension’ s role in disseminating information about climate change to agricultural stakeholders in the United States. Climatic Change, 130(2), 261–272.
- Siche, R. (2020). What is the impact of COVID-19 disease on agriculture? Scientia Agropecuaria, 11(1): 3-6.
- World Farmers Organization (2020). Covid-19 pandemic outbreak: overview of the impact on the agricultural sector. A technical assessment of the undergoing situation. Retrieved 17/7/2020 from www.wfo-oma.org/covid-19-agri-information-hub
- Article View: 31
- PDF Download: 14